THE BUILDING ROOMS ARRANGEMENTS CONTACT tilbage til forside
The History
Børsen's period of time


1619-1623
The building is built with a hip roof without garrets.

1624-1627
The end of the building facing West, the spire, the 9 garrets in front facing North and the central garret in front facing South are built.

1640-1645
The end of the building facing East is built.

1658
Børsen gets a new roof because the King needed the original lead roof for making cannon balls during the occupation of Copenhagen.

1742
King Christian VI's "Commercial Decree" founds the basis for the Merchant's Guild

1775
Børsen gets a new spire.

1810
The Exchange Hall is connected to the building.

1850
A critical period for Børsen because competition from the shops in town had taken over and customers failed.

1857
The merchants buy Børsen from King Frederik VII for 70.000 rix-dollars. The King imposed a condition of Børsen preserved as a requisition for the deal.

1857-1859
The inside is rebuilt and considerable changes are made in the roof construction in connection with the establishment of the present Exchange Hall.

1858
The opening of the Exchange Hall.

1877
The ramp facing Christiansborg Slotsplads is shortened.

1879-1883
The ends of the building and the spires are throughly renovated. Big parts of the sandstone figures are changed. The rest of the garrets facing South are built. The roof covering is changed from lead to copper. The last booths on the ground floor are shut down.

1895
P. S. Krøyer paints the famous "Børsbillede", which represents the most prominent businessmen at that time.

1920’s

By now it is mainly stockbrokers and bankers who characterize Børsen.

1942
Arkitekt og kgl. bygningsinspektør, professor Kai Gottlob indretter Komitesalen på 1. sal. 1946
Rampens nordvæg omlægges i forbindelse med tilkørsel til den nye Knippelsbro.

1946
The ramp's wall facing North is changed in connection with the entrance road, facing the new Knippelsbro.

1957
The Library is designed and in connection with the 100 year anniversary for the purchase of Børsen, Louis Bahnson gives Børsen the Ravenna-Mosaic in the ground floor. The Mosaic is made by Boye Givskov.

1974
The stock exchange moves from Børsen to Nikolaj Plads.

1974
The building goes through a nescessary restoration.

1982-1985
The second floor is made into offices.

1987
The Merchants' Guild and the Provincial Chamber of Commerce are merged into the Danish Chamber of Commerce.

1995
The ramp looses it trees because of disease. The ramp and the end of the building is thoroughly renovated.

1995
Thomas Kluge paints the commitee painting in connection with the 100 year anniversary for P.S. Krøyer's "Børsbillede".

1997
The Chamber gets the Europa Nostra prize for renovating the end of the building facing West and the ramp. The prize is handed over by HKH Prins Henrik.

1999-2001
The building is modernized by renovating the reception, the Mosaic, the staircase, the aisle and the assembly rooms in connection with it.

Try a virtual tour